Inside Our Mother-Ship

Posted by Searching Life at Monday, August 09, 2010
I have been banished to my room to finally eat my overcooked T.V. dinner at 10:00 PM tonight.
My mom has been trying to have "family nights" once in awhile.  But the following scenario is how things usually go down.

I bring my food into the living room and here is what happens:
Mom:  * disgusted* Jennifer - leave! this is an awful movie.
Me: *being the inquisitive soul that I am* Then why are you watching it?
Mom: *pouts on the couch, giving no answer*
Dad:  Wow!  This is a GREAT movie.

Like Dora, the people in our house are even weirder than the things inside of it (for example my octopus in a jar).  I think my dad and I like it better that way.  My mom however, wishes to keep every shred of normalcy she has left, a very limited quantity mind you.

Sometimes my mother does not like to be seen in public with me or my father.  I think she went into shock the year my parents took my friends and I to Disneyland.  Why?  Because my dad decided to wear a bright pink hat with bright pink flamingos on it to alert us kids (and everyone else for that matter) of his presence.  He also armed everyone with walkie-talkies so we could communicate with each other during our "missions".  He loved hearing himself making weird noises through the thing just as much as he loved drawing attention to himself.

Mom rarely wants to go out to eat with us.  Well, at least not when she gets take-out (at least once a week).  Because my father is also one of those people who NEVER gives his real name for the cashier to call out.  The next thing Mom  knows, Dad dramatically walks up to the counter as the name "Fabio" is blasted over the intercom.

Mom is also the one in my family who tries to make up for everyone's...weirdness.  I, however, prefer to think of them as intricacies.
Me: *walks into friends' sliding glass door*
Family Friends: *laughing hysterically*
Mom: * embarrassed* Now Jennifer...we've...talked about this.

I can assure everyone that my mother and I have NEVER had lectures about walking into sliding glass doors - of all things.  I have yet to meet a family that does discuss this.  So, please enlighten me if I am wrong for thinking that that was just a bad choice of words.  If anything, it re-enforced the idea that we DO have a beam within the walls of our "house" that takes us to our mother-ship.

3 comments:

Haruhi on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 said...

I only have one thing to say: I absolutely adore your family... And I love your Dad already (despite the fact that I've never actually met him...)

ChibiCommoner on Sunday, August 15, 2010 said...

haha ur family is epic XD i wanna meet ur dad! ive only seen him on the roof of ur house so i dont rlly think that counts haha. will he join us on the bus singing spontaneously??

Searching Life on Sunday, August 15, 2010 said...

I am rather amazed at the number of friends who have said that they wish to meet my dad. Still, I must admit that I too am quite fond of his quirkiness.

Oh yeah LeeLee, I almost forgot that yo met him while he was on top of our roof LOL
Now that I think of it, there is a good chance that he will join us in our bus-singing antics.
The evidence: whenever he picked me up from school, there was no stopping him from making up his own songs (usually country genre) and singing them at the top of his lungs in the parking lot.

Post a Comment

 

When the Snow Melts,What Does it Become? Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei