Meandering to a Different Drummer

Posted by Searching Life at Saturday, January 16, 2010
I like sharing stories of my blonde moments. They are very useful when I suffer from writters block. I shall proceed to set the scene for one of my more "infamous" moments in my 18 year history. I went on the D.C. trip last year. Usually that trip is only for the 8th graders as part of their history class. But since the Inaguration was going on, Juniors (me at the time) and Seniors were invited as part of government class. It wasn't really mandatory for highschoolers though, so there were only around 10 of us.

Thus, I will begin with my hot chocolate spiel . . . (applause)

Inauguration was cold. I am talking 18 degrees cold! Shut up all of you in cold climates 'cause I live in a DESERT. Here, the closest thing we get to this supposed snow is ice cubes. Anyway, at this point, hot chocolate was sounding pretty good to Holly and I. So, I went with a few of my other friends (Dora, Kaitlyn, and ...the other Kaitlyn) to buy hot chocolate. Holly wanted to stay with the group and told me to get some for her as well) We had to stand in line for 45 long and freezing minutes, and I was the last of my friends in line (but they were kind enough to wait for me) I thought it was worth it but I was not quite prepared for what happened next . . .

When I finally had my hot chocolate, I tried to join my friends and walk back with them. But as I tried to take a step forward, I went absolutely nowhere! It was as if some unseen force was in my way. At that point I realized that both cups of boiling hot chocolate had spilled on my freezing hands, and I also had a revelation that they were no longer numb anymore. In fact, it actually felt quite good because they were no longer cold.

So, I tried to take a step forward to reach my friends who were waiting for me. But alas, the same thing happened again! It was all very confusing. I felt like my feet couldn't move. To make things worse. The hot chocolate that had spilled on my hands was no longer hot. It had cooled off but was still wet. My poor hands, covered in sticky liquid chocolate, were thrown into a bitter cold hell! So, there I stood, in absolute misery, trying to figure out this phenomenon logically.

I looked down only to realize that the "unseen force" that had paralyzed me was actually a pole and rope that had been holding up the hot chocolate tent. . . .

I glanced towards my friends one last time . . . they looked back at me with faces filled of wonder and amusement at my blonde moment. Lastly, as I tried to step over the rope . . . I tripped over it even though it had been in plain sight, spilling some of the hot chocolate yet again.

Actually, I kept spilling the hot chocolate all the way back to our group (if anything, tripping over air!). And by the time I got the cup to Holly, half had spilled.

Then, I began to contemplate a wonderful invention that I always seem to take for granted. Lids.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

When the Snow Melts,What Does it Become? Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei