The "Untamed and Unnamed" Now Has A Name

Posted by Searching Life at Monday, October 25, 2010
Recently, my slow typing has hit a new and impressive low.  Last month, I got a kitten for my birthday, which is actually next month.  He has a fascination with keyboards (or anything that I am doing at any particular moment).  And being the six month old beast that never sleeps, he feels the need to make it difficult for me to add anything to my blog at any hour of the day.

He went through an identity crisis for the longest time.  My mom kept getting his gender confused for the longest time, thinking that he is in fact a she, which is in fact not true!  This messed with my head and I kept thinking that he was fruity and flamboyant (being that he is a kitten, this is actually partially true).  Nonetheless it was difficult to come up with a name for the poor creature.  Hari, Dora, and I tried to think of something fast.
  
1.)  First, Dora liked "Little Guy".

It was ironic to me because there is also a little guy that goes by the nickname of "Little Guy" who works for the F.B.I. in the Trauma Team game.  And at that point, I failed to see the masculinity in my untamed and unnamed cat.  Also ironic because he could turn out to be a real fatty...you never know.  And at that point, I would have to switch to calling him "Big Guy".  One, this is actually not very appealing.  Two, there is also a "Big Guy" in Trauma Team - the orthopedic surgeon who fixes injured people with power tools during office hours, and runs around in a superhero cape throwing cars at drug dealers and other criminals when he isn't performing some obscure surgical procedure.

Thanks to Dora, "Little Guy" stuck as a nickname.  But was replaced after a short while.

2.)  Ashley liked the name "Magnus".  The name was adopted from The Mortal Instruments books.  Why?  Because "Magnus" is the overly flamboyant and fruity "sexy, sexy warlock".  Besides, to an outsider, this name actually sounded quite masculine.

But it wasn't too long after that there were clear problems.  First, the Magnus from the book is "flaming homo", or as I like to say, as straight as a rainbow.  And my cat is not, to my knowledge.

And upon reading the City of Glass book, which Ashley and I promptly decided needed to be burned, the name became harder to accept.
And, put simply, I don't think my mother would feel comfortable getting another kitten to name "Alec" as his male lover.

3.)  I liked the idea of naming him "Mayhem"; it seems even more troublesome than Trouble.  He responded to it quite well (in addition to "Psycho").  The problem - I loved it...mom objected.

For now, his official name is Sparta (you know...The Mean Kitty Song).  I know it isn't original, but it fit quite well, especially since he seems even more manly.

His not-so-official name is Mayhem.

1 comments:

Regina Nieman on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 said...

TO WHOEVER READS THIS BLOG:

The most amazing name suggestion given in this splendorous competition was MINE. ABO. This came off of Aaya (Jen)'s beautiful T-shirt, as ABO stands for these three beautiful words. "Anything. But. Ordinary." Yes ABO is pronounced, A (ae, b, o as in toe) and has a lovely ring to it, which Mrs. Jen's Mother LOVED passionatly.
Why did Jen not take this name?
Ask her sad blonde hair.......
-Blackkun

Post a Comment

 

When the Snow Melts,What Does it Become? Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei